Why do you say it's not documented?
http://www.aconus.com/~oyaji/www/apache_linux_php.htm
http://tinyurl.com/2o8pq2

OK just kidding and I agree it would be nice to have it better
documented in the mainstream docs. As it applies mostly to the Asian
users though (Chinese/Japanese) who usually seek localized docs it's
probably not as good as it should be in php.net.

Andi