The original patch works as it should. Substitution with user-defined
characters only works in the "FROM_UNICODE" case. When converting to Unicode,
U+FFFD is always substituted because it is the standard substitution
character. Even the ICU library does not allow this to be changed (with good
reason).

As for the test, *I think* the testing script would have to be
Unicode-compatible and the test script would have to be in some UTF encoding
to verify that U+FFFD was substituted. I don't know if this is the case yet.