Hi,

Can I suggest having a look at GIT (http://git-scm.com). It has some
mayor advantages above SVN. The most important one is that it's a
distributed version control system.

Let's say Rasmus leads a team working on a new feature in PHP to switch
from .ini to .yaml files for configuration. With GIT it's not needed
that the whole team has commit access to the main GIT repository. Rasmus
can checkout PHP to his own server. The team can checkout and commit to
Rasmus' server. Rasmus still update the checkout of his server to get
the changes made in the main PHP repo. When Rasmus is satisfied that the
feature works, he (and only he) can commit it to the main repo.

If you look at the linux kernel, you see that there is a whole
hierarchy. There are lieutenants who are responsible for a certain part
of the kernel. The lieutenant has got a small team working on that part.
Each team member, may have a team of his own working on a specific
feature.

I would think a structure like this would work very nicely for PHP.

- Arnold