Lack of Unicode support is enough of a problem in that PHP6 will be all
Unicode all the time, so these functions simply won't work as they are
today.  It would take someone sitting down and figuring out how to
emulate this stuff in a way that makes sense in a Unicode world for them
to come back, and unless we get a volunteer to do that, they are gone.
It is not a question of simply leaving in what we have today.  It
technically won't work.

-Rasmus