On 12.10.2009, at 20:34, Tomas Kuliavas wrote:

2009.10.12 20:55 Carl P. Corliss rašė:
Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
[snip]

On 12.10.2009, at 18:57, Mark Krenz wrote:

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 04:27:02PM GMT, Pierre Joye
[pierre....@gmail.com] said the following:
[snip]

But I'm willing to bet that the majority of people are using ereg, not PCRE. I've known about PCRE in PHP for a while now, but I continue to use ereg because I thought it had better support in PHP and that it was the more "official" function. Guess I was wrong. I'm sure I'm not the
only one who thought this.

Maybe try to substantiate that argument with a google code search or
something. Personally I have seen quite the opposite, then again I have been actively encouraging people to use preg since about 5 or more years
now.

Code Search of: "eregi?(_replace)?\( lang:php" shows ~123,000 results
Code Search of:
"preg_(filter|grep|last_error|match_all|match|quote| replace_callback|replace|split)\(
lang:php" shows ~374,000 results

Looks like preg_* functions are used more often than ereg* functions to
me...

preg_quote() and preg_last_error() are support functions. They are used
together with other pcre functions. You double some search results.

If you have to support something, it is not about statistics. Even 1% is
important. Before you use statistics against something, remember that
statistics can be used against you too. Everyone of us is one in seven
billion. Any person is just 0,000000014% in Earth statistics.

Puh, I think this was a valid attempt at putting things closer to numbers rather then assumptions. Mark's claim was that ereg is being used more than preg and I think these stats do put some doubt on that claim, even though it should also be noted that there are several ereg using functions that are not prefixed with ereg.

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
m...@pooteeweet.org