Tomas Kuliavas wrote:
[snip]

Looks like preg_* functions are used more often than ereg* functions to
me...

preg_quote() and preg_last_error() are support functions. They are used
together with other pcre functions. You double some search results.

Actually, searching for those by themselves shows only about 24K worth of results - a far cry from doubling anything. Even adding /spliti?/ for ereg results only increases it to around ~170K results.

If you have to support something, it is not about statistics. Even 1% is
important. Before you use statistics against something, remember that
statistics can be used against you too. Everyone of us is one in seven
billion. Any person is just 0,000000014% in Earth statistics.

Sure, it's not empirical data, however it's certainly useful as a means for gauging (albeit roughly) the use of ereg* functions.

Regardless, we could really argue statistics all day if we wanted but, that would be beside the point - which is that ereg* functions are, like it or not, deprecated. Not that I mind given the fact that the preg* functions are typically faster anyway.

--
Carl