On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 11:53 PM, Ferenc Kovacs <i...@tyrael.hu> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Mark Krenz <m...@suso.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 07:22:10PM GMT, Robert Cummings
>> [rob...@interjinn.com] said the following:
>>>
>>> You are obviously right of course... the PHP world is NOT ready for the
>>> POSIX regex library to be dropped. That's why it's "deprecated" in PHP
>>> 5.3 and not removed. In a year or 3, when PHP 6 is released, one would
>>> hope that by then the PHP world WILL be ready.
>>>

>>  One would hope, but I've seen otherwise over the past 10 or 11 years
>> of administrating PHP.
>>
> You are just the one in seven billion.
>>  Often times the latest supported versions of operating systems do not
>> contain a version of PHP that is recent or supported even.  And
>> typically people will run a server for around 3-5 years so they end up
>> having a version of PHP that is way behind.  PHP Developers may wonder
>> about this but it is completely acceptable and expected from a sysadmin
>> point of view.  I know that I never feel like I'm on a supported
>> version of PHP, even though I'll use a recent OS version.
> Major versions can and will break backward compatibility.
> If your code does not ready for php6, then you have 3-10 years to port
> it to the php6.
> If you dont want to, then its fine, you dont have to.
>>
>>  So what happens is if its timed right, many people will never be
>> running PHP 5.3 and will end up straight on PHP 6.
>>
> Why would somebody skip php 5.3 when porting the applications from 5.2
> is easy, then switch to php6 to its release day?
>>  I used the term overnight before and I think that confused people.
>> What I mean is overnight in terms of version numbers.  For instance,
>> overnight would be like one patch level or even minor version to the
>> next.
>>
>>  When a function is deprecated, I expect to see the warning for quite a
>> while before its actually removed. So if it just happens "overnight"
>> thats not acceptable, no matter how much time has passed.  Its more
>> about version numbers than time.
>>
> If -at least- 3 years of warning is overnight for you, than I think
> I'm lucky to catch you awake.
>>
>> --
>> Mark S. Krenz
>> IT Director
>> Suso Technology Services, Inc.
>> http://suso.org/
>>
>> --
>>

> I don't like the way that you say you are representing "the whole
> internet", it would be better if we can go for the one person one vote
> rule.
>
> Sorry for my english, I'm not a native speaker, and it's getting late.
>
> Tyrael

btw. I hate php 5.3 for the following change:
#   The use of {} to access string offsets is deprecated. Use [] instead.
I always used the {} because the [] was deprecated for a long time,
and I corrected everybody, to use the {}, and in one release, the []
gets undeprecated, and the {} to deprecated.
Shame on you people, but I think I have to live with it. :)

Tyrael