On 05/11/2011 02:10 PM, Philip Olson wrote:

So, that's the concern there. But if the alpha is simply a trick to convince
people to test out a specific PHP 5.4 snapshot, and feel 5.4 is real, then do
it. ;)

There are still quite a few test failures in trunk. Some of them are also in the 5_3 branch. In some cases the tests are simply bad. In a few the test case contains binary data that got mangled in the move to Subversion. It would be nice if just 1 in 10 people reading the list here would grab both trunk and 5_3 and run "make test" in each tree and then fix at least 1 test each. We would have no test failures by the end of the day other than a few tricky ones. If an alpha release will encourage this, great. If we could get people to just do it on their own without the alpha, even better.

And yes, I know the tests take forever to run. Get yourself a fast machine with an SSD, and remember you can run partial tests using:

  make test TESTS=ext/hash

for example to just run the tests for the hash extension.

Also, when a test fails, cd into the ext/hash/tests directory and you will see .out, .exp, .diff and .php files for the failed test. That is, the output, the expected output, the diff between them and the php script itself extracted from the .phpt file containing the failed test case.

And if you can't figure out how to fix a test, post the details here. I'd love to point some of the obvious talents and energy of this list towards the code. If you don't have an svn account for committing your fixed test, go to http://www.php.net/svn-php.php and fill in the little form at the bottom there and put in the test that you fixed and a 1-liner about how you fixed it and I will set you up with an account right away. Info on how to check out the code from svn is here:
https://wiki.php.net/vcs/svnfaq

-Rasmus