Voting in favor of a short syntax, as a mostly userland dev, seems a no-brainer, but both suggested syntaxes and patches are rather unnatural: they attempt to mimic JSON syntax, but do not go the whole way.

The second syntax, possibly more natural to PHP devs, might well be more trouble than it is worth, though, as it is quite close to the existing ()-braced format, only with [], thus possibly disturbing new users of the language. The first syntax, being more remote from the normal array() initializer format, might well be less disturbing. But in that case, it might just as well be completely handle a complete JSON initialization format, without the need for a json_decode().