On 05/31/2011 02:45 PM, Ilia Alshanetsky wrote:
> Rasmus,
>
> Don't you think having support for both ['a':1, 'b':2] and {'a':1,
> 'b':2} would create confusion?

Not if we present this as native json support in PHP. Then we have to
support the {} version. Other than a couple of grumpy old-timers, I
think we are in agreement that we should add a short array syntax.
Whether we should extend that to also add a short object syntax is a
secondary question.

Just as a data point, I gave a presentation in Mexico a couple of days
ago to a couple of hundred kids where I went over the accepted new
features in 5.4 and also a short list of features under discussion, and
this short array syntax got the most applause by far. It is much harder
to explain traits than this feature.

-Rasmus