Hi!

If a handful of "experienced people" decided to go forward with my
crackpot idea above, would you be in support, just because they are?

No, but I wouldn't say that nobody needs it. I'd say it's a bad idea despite somebody needing it, for reasons so and so.

I figured it was tough, based on the amount of effort/time people
spent. Sad to see that it seems abandoned though.

Well, you know, if somebody has time/energy to pick it up - go ahead. But people that worked on it felt they are not getting the result they hoped for, so they cut their losses and moved on. The beauty of open source is that if anybody wants to pick it up it's still out there.

IMHO, JSON-style syntax is *not* as readable as PHP array syntax. It's
shorthanding something that is pretty short as well.

That's obviously a matter of taste - I consider it more readable, for example. For elephant's sake, we're being unfavorably compared to Perl on readability! :)

But seriously, if I alone felt that, I'd suck it up - as I did when it failed last time. But this time more people feel that way - so maybe it's time for a change. People change, experiences change, tastes change, languages change.

is *unnecessary* as nothing is broken. I can only imagine the poor PHP
developers bastardizing this so badly it takes hours to decypher what
they are trying to do.

I think while you point on excessive shortcutting is completely valid, in this example it is not excessive, as [] array syntax is very common (Perl, Python, Ruby, JS, D, etc.) and recognizable.

--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/