> Could you elaborate?  Aside from making PHP forgiving of typos and overall
> laziness on the part of the coder, and of course BC notwithstanding, I'm not
> sure I understand what benefit there is to preserving this inconsistent
> behavior.

Kris,

Sorry, first to be clear I made a typo there, but what I'm saying is
PHP currently doesn't care if you do the following:

<?php

function Foo() { }

/* these all work the same obviously */
foo(); Foo(); FOO();

?>

However, it does care if you do the following:

<?php

$foo = 'bar';
$Foo = 'baz';
$FOO = 'quix';

?>

I'm not saying I'm in favor of making PHP case-insensitive. I think
it's fine that it is case-sensitive since it deals with mostly
everything on a binary level. I think the fact that it currently does
allow ASCII case-insensitivity for method/function/class/(and
partially constant) names is somewhat confusing though. It should
probably be either all case-sensitive or not. As you can argue that
there seems to be little reasoning behind wanting $foo and $FOO to be
two different things, but hey that's the arguable part.

I can't see much reason to breaking any of this now though. I don't
know about others, but I've rarely ever written or worked with PHP
code where function/method names were in anything other than ASCII and
me or anyone else cared about case-sensitivity there. I say it's fine
the way it is and I don't really see anyone presenting a valid use
case for why it should change.

Just my two cents.