On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 2:28 AM, Anthony Ferrara <ircmax...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rasmus,
>
> Now do 5 or even 10+ years and commits to Zend and APC. We are talking
>> about a core language feature here, so commits to the code most affected
>> is what you should be looking at and when I talk about maintenance I
>> talk about code we are fixing 10 years from now. Commits in the past
>> year doesn't really reflect that very well.
>>

> True, but if someone hasn't been active with even a single commit in the
> past year, I don't think they should be counted as an active maintainer.
>
> I ran the numbers back to 2011. And they actually shift more towards Yes:
> Total Commits:
> No: 2011
> Yes: 1877
>
> All but top 2:
> No: 996
> Yes: 1011
>
> And for 2010 (past 3 years):
> No: 2455
> Yes: 2395
>
> All but top 2:
> No: 1440
> Yes: 1028
>
> This is pointless though. The point is pretty well proven that within
> reason the activity level of both groups is about even.
>
> And when measuring a feature against "number of maintainers", I honestly
> believe that only current active maintainers should count for that ranking.
> It's not about "discrediting" prior contributors. Not in the least. I'm not
> suggesting their votes should count less. I'm not suggesting that they
> should lose voting rights or anything like that. But to count active
> maintainers against a list which contains people who's last commit was in
> 2006 isn't fair.
>
> Anthony

Why are you people so conservative in adding this feature? The vote
was going very well, but right now i really doubt this will make it in
PHP 5.5...
I would like to see this feature get in. So please, be a bit less conservative.

If there is so much conservatism then please make a userland poll
perhaps on php.net to ask the php devs (from userland) if they'd like
this feature.