On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 6:20 PM, Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.com> wrote:

> On 01/22/2013 03:18 AM, Clint Priest wrote:
> >
> > On 1/17/2013 12:20 PM, Clint Priest wrote:
> >> I'm happy to say that Property Accessors is ready for a vote for
> >> inclusion in 5.5 release.
> >>
> >> Nikita and I (as well as Stas a bit) have all been working hard to
> >> make this happen for 5.5, voting and the specifications are here:
> >>
> >> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/propertygetsetsyntax-v1.2#voting
> >>

> > For those that have voted against this proposal, are there any
> > clarifications that can be made or questions answered?
> >
> > There seems to be a lot of userland support for this proposal from
> > people who don't have voting rights.
>
> The simple explanation from me is that the ROI isn't there on this one.
> It adds a lot of code complexity for very little return. Yes, it saves a
> couple of lines of boilerplate code for a few people, but the cost is
> high in terms of ongoing maintenance and potential issues for opcode
> caches as well. If you look at the split in voting you will notice it is
> pretty much split along the lines of the people who have to maintain
> this code vs. the people who would like a shiny new feature.

I think it would be important to gather the reasons for the No Votes and
ways how to address this problems.
Some from the previous discusisons are:

* Neglected APC support
* adding complexity to PHP Core
* Reference Handling
* Visibility Rules
* Fear of testing in production

And come up with solutions to those (like cutting some features, or putting
the code into 5.6 to allow for more testing)

Since several contributors helped with the development and committed
themselves for quite some time already, then if there were a chance to
address all the concerns then this feature could still move forward (maybe
at a later point)?