Matthew Leverton wrote:
> What I don't like about named parameters is that if I build a library,
> now even my parameter names are unchangeable if I don't want to break
> any backward compatibility, since I never know if somebody will decide
> to call my single parameter method with named parameters. Are we
> prepared to go through every PHP function and make sure the names of
> the parameters are set in stone before this feature would go live?

This is already the case. In libraries that accept options via an array,
those array keys are pretty much set in stone (although you can map them
if you need to change a key).

All this does is add first-class support in the language.

Huge +1 for this feature and thank you to Nikita for working on the RFC.

--
Ryan McCue
<http://ryanmccue.info/>