On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 12:36 PM, Ferenc Kovacs <tyr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 6:12 PM, Terry Cullen <te...@terah.com.au> wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, 4 August 2015, Johannes Schlüter <johan...@schlueters.de>
>> wrote:

>> the
>> product.
>> >
>> > ... and with a forum there is only a single client. The forum
>> > itself. ;-)
>> >
>> > SCNR,
>> > johannes
>> >

>> > --
>> >

>> Redmine would be a good option.  http://www.redmine.org/
>>
>> The feature list has most everything covered in this thread.
>> http://www.redmine.org/projects/redmine/wiki/Features
>>

>> --
>>

> hi,
>
> maybe it just me, but it seems to me, that every time this idea is brought
> up, not many people from the actual participants of the list speak up, but
> bunch of people who never before sent a mail to the list will chip in.
> I'm not saying that there is nothing to improve, but I think that it would
> be important to actually incorporate some feedback from the people actually
> generating the content on the list.
> personally I would prefer moving to something like google groups and doing
> in a way that we can preserve archives (
> https://github.com/wojdyr/fityk/wiki/MigrationToGoogleGroups)
> that would allow us to actually kill our ancient list/ezmlm infrastructure
> along with news.php.net which would be a huge win.
> it would also make it much more easier to search/link to our mailing lists
> archives:
> news.php.net has no way of searching, news://news.php.net is pretty slow,
> we have a couple of mail archives like
> https://www.mail-archive.com/internals@lists.php.net/ which are indexing
> some of our mailing lists, but they don't have the archives from the
> beginings, but I remember seeing a mail from them to ask for our archives
> in an mbox and they then would be able to add the missing indexes.
> moving to google groups would also make it much easier to manage the groups
> (there are less people familiar with ezmlm administration than people with
> google groups experience) and make it easier to reply to old mails.
>
> I think that would suit our usage pattern better than a forum and
> personally I don't really want to start hosting/maintaining one (we should
> have to integrate our own auth and probably acl into that, security audit,
> keep it up-to-date, etc.).
>
> --
> Ferenc Kovács
> @Tyr43l - http://tyrael.hu

Not to pile in another voice from not a long-term participant, but
here's my unsolicited $0.02 on this matter:

Personally, I'd be fine with Google Groups. I recently set a few up
for internal discussions (mostly to coordinate future blog posts for
Paragon and brainstorm project ideas) and they're quite pleasant.

One question (open for everyone, I don't necessarily expect Ferenc to know):
Can we still archive messages on third-party sites (e.g.
gmane.org/marc.info)? I've not delved into integration yet.

Scott Arciszewski
Chief Development Officer
Paragon Initiative Enterprises <https://paragonie.com>