On 08/04/2015 11:36 AM, Ferenc Kovacs wrote:
On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 6:12 PM, Terry Cullen <te...@terah.com.au> wrote:

On Tuesday, 4 August 2015, Johannes Schlüter <johan...@schlueters.de>
wrote:

On Sun, 2015-08-02 at 17:15 -0500, Stephen Coakley wrote:
You have to admit, NNTP news is an aging technology, with fewer and
fewer readers available as time goes on. Nowadays (for graphical
clients), there's Pan, and Thunderbird, and...? I use Thunderbird at
the
moment, because I didn't want to fill up my email, and there aren't too
many readers. Heck, Thunderbird is technically a "discontinued"
product.

... and with a forum there is only a single client. The forum
itself. ;-)

SCNR,
johannes

Redmine would be a good option.  http://www.redmine.org/

The feature list has most everything covered in this thread.
http://www.redmine.org/projects/redmine/wiki/Features

--

hi,

maybe it just me, but it seems to me, that every time this idea is brought
up, not many people from the actual participants of the list speak up, but
bunch of people who never before sent a mail to the list will chip in.
I'm not saying that there is nothing to improve, but I think that it would
be important to actually incorporate some feedback from the people actually
generating the content on the list.

What can we do to ask feedback on the issue from those people? I really want to hear what they think too.

personally I would prefer moving to something like google groups and doing
in a way that we can preserve archives (
https://github.com/wojdyr/fityk/wiki/MigrationToGoogleGroups)
that would allow us to actually kill our ancient list/ezmlm infrastructure
along with news.php.net which would be a huge win.
it would also make it much more easier to search/link to our mailing lists
archives:
news.php.net has no way of searching, news://news.php.net is pretty slow,
we have a couple of mail archives like
https://www.mail-archive.com/internals@lists.php.net/ which are indexing
some of our mailing lists, but they don't have the archives from the
beginings, but I remember seeing a mail from them to ask for our archives
in an mbox and they then would be able to add the missing indexes.
moving to google groups would also make it much easier to manage the groups
(there are less people familiar with ezmlm administration than people with
google groups experience) and make it easier to reply to old mails.

I think that would suit our usage pattern better than a forum and
personally I don't really want to start hosting/maintaining one (we should
have to integrate our own auth and probably acl into that, security audit,
keep it up-to-date, etc.).

I mean really, that would work too and I would be happy with that. That offers several advantages as well to the mailing list system. The main problem is convincing the group to adopt a platform that is *different* than the current one.

--
Stephen Coakley