Zeev and all,

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 9:05 AM, Zeev Suraski <z...@zend.com> wrote:

>> On 23 בנוב׳ 2015, at 14:04, Joe Watkins <pthre...@pthreads.org> wrote:
>>

>> No one is expecting 0.0 or any version to be bug free, but the simplicity of
>> the fix says nothing about the seriousness of the bug. I think it quite
>> serious _because_ we are a few days from GA, had this been found a month ago
>> it wouldn't seem so serious.
>>

> No, but both the seriousness of the bug AND the simplicity of the fix sit
> squarely outside any sort of "critical" definition.

Perhaps, except that this bug was known by engine maintainers for
months. It actually took one of them saying it outright in a chat room
for me to be like "WTFBBQ" and raising this thread.

That seriously shakes confidence in stability. What else is known but
not common knowledge? What else is not known? etc.

> The bug simply has the unfortunate connotation of being associated with
> arrays, but is not - it's only about count()ing symbol tables.  The fix
> itself is very localized too and was peer reviewed, so I don't feel as if
> we'd be living on the edge of we'd be releasing without an extra RC.
>
> My main concern is that of we're treating this issue as a semi blocker - it's
> almost unthinkable we won't find something of similar (small) magnitude in
> the next seven days.  That's my only concern with releasing next week,m.
> Would people here again demand to delay, even if the impact is very limited -
> as is the case with this count() issue?  If it wasn't for that concern, I'd
> probably be in favor of delaying.

The main concern of many of us is that many people here seem to be
demonstrating a cavalier attitude around what constitutes a .0 release
(a stable release). Of course it's going to have bugs, but it **MUST**
be as stable as possible. The attitude by many here of "eih, it won't
be bug free anyway, so who cares" is poison.

If we delay further, we lose nothing. It's not like shipping a week
later is going to cost anyone anything. But shipping a broken version
WILL cost us a lot. We've been really good the past several releases
(5.4, 5.5, 5.6) about shipping stable versions day 1. If we break that
trend, it will shake faith. It will cost us far more.

Rasmus,

> I think this was mostly a PR failure on my part actually. If I/we are a bit
> more careful about how we handle similar issues and the people lurking with
> itchy Twitter trigger fingers would spend a bit more time looking into the
> details we should all be able to get along and get a good launch with no
> controversy on Dec.3.

Sorry, but when you make a statement like:

> Nobody is going to take a .0.0 and push it straight to production.

THAT is more than a PR failure. That's a perspective failure.

> And it is not going to part of any sort of LTS distro either. It's not like
> LTS distros don't pick up point releases.

They don't. Debian squeeze is still pinned on 5.3.3. This causes me
major headaches since they didn't backport serious security features,
leading to problems today. Saying "they pick up point releases" may be
true for some, but the history is there that has caused MANY open
source projects a TON of pain. So it's definitely not something to
brush off.

I'm less concerned by the specific issue here than by the 2 facts that
surround it: It was known by engine maintainers for months, and the
cavalier attitude around what defines "stable". Both of these are far
more critical and worth delaying to "get right" than this particular
"bug" is...

Anthony