Just because HHVM is closer to PHP than C#.

________________________________
From: Dominic Grostate <codekest...@googlemail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 19:43
To: Dmitry Stogov
Cc: rowan.coll...@gmail.com; PHP internals; Stanislav Malyshev
Subject: Re: [PHP-DEV] [RFC] PHP Attributes

Why not like C#?

[Description("My Function")]
function my_function()
{}

Without the semicolon, this wouldn't be valid in any other context.

On 26 Apr 2016 8:41 a.m., "Dmitry Stogov"
<dmi...@zend.com<mailto:dmi...@zend.com>> wrote:

On 04/25/2016 11:20 PM, Stanislav Malyshev wrote:
Hi!

No, but this is valid:

@atrr(); function foo() { ... }

That's perhaps a little too close for comfort...?
That's different syntax. If you put ; in the middle of statement, it can
change - "$c = $a + $b;" is not the same as "$c = $a; + $b;" - but
nobody thinks + can not be used because of that. As I said, << and >>
are existing operators too, so if you are creative enough, I'm sure you
can find cases like that too.

Hi Stas,

You may try to replace attribute syntax with @attr(...) (without semicolon)
into our PHP parser.
Note that we have LALR grammar + restrictions caused by semantic actions.
If you are able to do this, I'll add it into the RFC as an option.

Thanks. Dmitry.