On 5 May 2016 at 15:24, Larry Garfield <la...@garfieldtech.com> wrote:
> because it doesn't define "right way".

Good.

> I could easily see, for instance, Doctrine annotations building the
> first, PHPUnit the second, and Zend the 3rd.

Good!

It's not the job of PHP core to tell people how to use annotations.
People can use them however they want.

If it turns out that there is a single 'right' way of using them,
everyone will gravitate to that way anyway.

If it turns out there are different 'right' ways of using them for
different use cases, people will be able to pick and choose the
use-case that is most appropriate.

And most importantly, if what people think is the 'right' way to use
them evolves over time, that can be accomplished completely in
user-land, without needing to update the internal implementation of
annotations.

cheers
Dan