On 05/11/2016 09:57 AM, Joe Watkins wrote:
Dmitry,

> but it's possible to get the same power translating string values of attributes into AST in the hooks.

Aware.

Enough of the complexity is already the responsibility of the consumer of the attributes.

It's already possible to get strings (and so AST) from doc comments, we don't need anything new if that's all you want to do.

Essentially, moving something from doc comments to <<here>> makes zero sense to me.

Except the fact, that doc-comment content don't have to conform to any rules, and you have to parse it and extract the necessary part of meta information every time you need it. It's not a big problem to do this using Doctrine library, but how are you going to do this in a compiler hook?

Cheers
Joe

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 7:45 AM, Dmitry Stogov <dmi...@zend.com <mailto:dmi...@zend.com>> wrote:

    On 05/11/2016 09:02 AM, Joe Watkins wrote:
    Morning Dmitry,

    > On the other hand simple string may be parsed into AST with
    just one additional call to ast\compile_string().

    You're not really suggesting that I write my tools in user land,
    are you ? It's me, Joe :)ce

    At first days of RFC discussion Sara pointed on over-design
    regarding AST.
    I saw sense in here comments and updated RFC.

    I *only* want attributes as they were originally proposed, and I
    can't vote to reflect that.

    As discussed in private, what I want is attributes, as originally
    proposed, and a hookable compiler; Anything else is not good enough.

    Personally, I'm for AST as well, but it's possible to get the same
    power translating string values of attributes into AST in the hooks.

    Thanks. Dmitry.

    Cheers
    Joe

    On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 6:26 AM, Dmitry Stogov <dmi...@zend.com
    <mailto:dmi...@zend.com>> wrote:

        Hi Joe,

        The sense in native support for AST is questionable.

        On one hand this allows syntax verification.