Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Monday, February 4, 2019 2:02 AM, Levi Morrison <le...@php.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 3, 2019 at 5:15 PM azjezz azj...@protonmail.com wrote:
>
> > Hello Internals !
> > As @official_php suggested [1], I'm here to propose a new website for the
> > PHP Project.
> > In my opinion, current design looks old, outdated and bland. This sadly may
> > reflect "badly" on the language
> > reputation nowadays.
> > New comers find it hard to go around the website, to write "comments",
> > report issues or write RFCs.
> > Even signing up for the internals mailing list wasn't an easy task [2].
> > Since the development of PHP 8.0 has started, I think its a good idea to
> > start working on a new website.
> >
> > Global proposal
> >
> > ================
> >
> > The proposal here is to do a major rewrite of the PHP sites. This rewrite
> > would includes php.net, windows.php.net,
> > bug.php.net, wiki.php.net, qa.php.net and other official php websites.
> > It would be done with this in mind:
> >
> > -   No PHP framework (to avoid favoriting one)
> >
> > -   Keep it simple: little to no changes to the database structures
> >
> > -   This site should look modern, simple and feel welcoming.
> >
> > -   A new home page, not a "news" page, but a page simply showing the PHP
> > Logo, a code example maybe and
> >

> > the download link [3].
> >
> > -   A new community website [4], it can be a place for people to ask
> > questions and discuss php in general - no one uses IRC anymore.
> >
> > -   Single account: Users should be able to use the same community account
> > to file bugs, create a new RFC (depending on karma) and leave notes on the
> > documentation.
> >
> > -   Ideally all *.php.net websites would be "merged" into a single brand
> > new website, but I'm not sure about the hosting
> >

> > specificities (eg, what server does what).
> >
> > FrontEnd Framework
> >
> > ===================
> >
> > We don't need that too, but we can use one ! there's some light-weight
> > options out there.
> > but i'm pretty sure some people in the php community have experience with
> > front-end development and will happily contribute.
> > see :
> >
> > -   https://mustard-ui.com/
> >
> > -   https://getuikit.com/
> >
> > -   https://bulma.io/
> >
> > -   https://picturepan2.github.io/spectre/index.html
> >

> > Next steps
> >
> > ===========
> >
> > I would really like to hear opinions about this proposal.
> > [1] https://twitter.com/official_php/status/1091903415377108994
> > [2] https://twitter.com/SaraMG/status/1092185205572542466
> > [3]
> > https://camo.githubusercontent.com/762e5d9fcaaa4ecf645343350a91929f99f452e9/68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f584477675261662e706e67
> > [4] https://php.net/community
> >
> > Saif Eddin Gmati https://azjezz.github.io
>
> I appreciate the enthusiasm. If you think the current PHP website is
> old, out-dated, and bland, you must have not experienced the previous
> [...]

I'm not proposing updating the UI and other websites to use, instead rebuild
all PHP websites.

for the mock-ups, i have created a GitHub repository :
https://github.com/azjezz/web-php-mock-ups/

this would take more time than just updating the UI, but the PHP website is
getting old and most of it is broken or just hard to use.

i would appreciate any help or suggestions for the UI.
as it would be the first step before starting to build the new website.