On 16/12/16 15:56, Stuart Yoder wrote:

>>> With the current definition of iommu-map we already have baked in an
>>> assumption that an iommu-specifier is a value that can be incremented
>>> by 1 to get to the next sequential specifier.  So the binding already
>>> has "knowledge" that applies in most, but not all cases.
>>>
>>> The generic iommu binding also defines a case where #iommu-cells=4
>>> for some IOMMUs.
>>>
>>> Since the ARM SMMU is a special case, perhaps the intepretation
>>> of an iommu-specifier in the context of iommu-map should be moved
>>> into the SMMU binding.

>>> You had said in the previous thread:
>>>
>>>   > I had intended that the offset was added to the final cell of the
>>>   > iommu-specifier (i.e. that the iommu-specifier was treated as a large
>>>   > number).
>>>
>>>   > You can handle this case by adding additional entries in the map table,
>>>   > with a single entry length.
>>>
>>> I understand that, and it works, but I don't see why the definition has
>>> to be that the offset is added to the "final cell".
>>
>> Because the cells of a specifier form a single opaque big-endian value.
>> Were DT little-endian it would be the "first cell". To be pedantic, both
>> of those descriptions are technically wrong because they fail to account
>> for overflow and carry up into the next cell (in whichever direction).
>
> If it is really opaque how can we reliably add 1 to it?

The pci-iommu binding isn't adding 1 to an opaque value. It is
*generating* an IOMMU specifier of the form of a single numeric value,
as defined by some linear translation of a PCI RID relative to a numeric
base value appropriate for the IOMMU topology. It is explicit therein
that a single numeric value must be the appropriate interpretation of
that specifier. That happens to be true of a 1-cell arm-smmu specifier,
therefore iommu-map can be used with arm-smmu with #iommu-cells=1. It is
also true of a 2-cell some-other-iommu specifier, therefore iommu-map
can be used with some-other-iommu with #iommu-cells=2 (if we fix the
fact that the current implementation fails to consider more than one
cell). It is not, however, true of a 2-cell arm-smmu specifier,
therefore iommu-map cannot be used with arm-smmu with #iommu-cells=2,
although the fact that of_pci_iommu_configure() unconditionally
generates a 1-cell specifier at the moment does happen to sidestep that.

The point of the 2-cell arm-smmu specifier is really to handle the
devices (which exist) with dozens or hundreds of stream IDs, which are
*only* usable via SMR masking, and particularly with a hand-crafted mask
that is able to assume the non-existence of overlapping IDs (that aspect
being actually quite significant for optimal allocation - one of the
reasons my automatic-mask-generation prototype is now gathering dust).

The MMU-500 TBU use-case is really an entirely different kettle of fish,
hence the RFC I posted earlier.

Robin.