On 2007-05-12, Alexander Shishkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> all I was saying is that the fact that you're uncomfortable with
> something doesn't make it suck or "a fucked up mess". Statements that
> you make here are solely based upon your feelings and you try to use
> as if they were objectively correct which is often not the case.

Objective correctness is fiction. All that matters is what I think.

> Deep inside we're all scared and lonely and offended by those FOSS
> developers doing what they please. So that's why you mistreat your
> users likewise?

I'm not going to waste time serving the fancies of the FOSS herd,
especially ones that I have no use for, when all it tries to do
is make my life more difficult and laboursome.

>> No, SUV the size of a high-rise building is the penis enlargement
>> trend over here. The bicycle is a mere transportation necessity,
> Those penises that can't afford this type of enlargement still often
> have an urge to be enlarged somehow.

Maybe, but it can be something as simple as a bicycle model that
suits your style, and such small differences have quite insignificant
environmental impact, on a vehicle that runs on your own power and
demands little space. (Recumbent tricycles can demand quite a bit of
space, though. It could also be argued that aluminium frames should
be used less than they presently are, in favour of heavier steel
frames that only tend to be used on very basic and el cheapo bicycles
anymore. I'm not sure if such out-of-the-sight construction materials
fall into the penis enlargement department, though.)

>> assuming you agree that people need to move around faster and
>> longer distances than is practical by walking -- which isn't much
> Is it still practical to ride a bike below -10C in winter considering
> wind and humidity?

-10C is nothing. -20C is still quite tolerable. In -30C breathing
has become quite difficult, but it's still doable. (Some cheapo
components designed for warmer climates don't seem to like it much:
I broke one crankarm in such temperatures just by standing on the
pedal. Derailleurs also start to freeze, when you have to leave the
bike outside for the day.) Walking starts to become more convenient
below -20C, though, as it demands more warming motion than cycling,
and has less chance of making you breathless.

I'd actually like to try skiing for commuting in the winter -- it's
faster than walking, and also demands more warming exercise than
cycling -- but the vehicles of terror (cars) having consumed most
of the space, with all the rest being squeezed on narrow gritted
multi-use paths that frequently intersect the largely dry asphalted
domain of these infernal machines, it's not possible.

--
Tuomo