On 5/12/07, Tuomo Valkonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 2007-05-12, Alexander Shishkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At least, autoconf deals with cross-compilation while most of those
> who think that they can write decent makefiles fail to do so.

If cross-compilation needs more than changing the compiler used
and/or its flags, and library/include paths, that system is fucked
up. (Alternatively a chroot jail should be used.)
How can you tell if malloc(0) in target's C library returns zero or
behaves like glibc's, for example? What with 1500 of such little
conditional settings? Defining all those in a makefile is what I
prefer to call being fucked up.
Does ion3 cross-compile at all, btw? Does luac produce 100%
architecture-independent bytecode?

> Any of this fails to attract my attention in debian, for example.

Debian is a complex fucked up mess.
I'm not a poet, but it still sucks less.

Again, the only major concerns of mine (with debian or not) is ion's breakage.
You've taken to talk a lot of fud recently, btw.

> Except, probably the case when I discovered that ion3 no longer does
> xinerama due to you being somehow upset with xinerama API.

Not the API -- there isn't much of it; just that the whole thing
is a pointless [1] exercise in mutually incompatible extensions,
which combined with ICCCM incompleteness in the nested WM window
department, makes it impossible to get working Right. Given this,
Oh right, now with xinerama being supported in ion for so many years,
you figured out that problem. However, being a mere luser in the
context of window management, I don't care since I've never hit any
problem with that and now with xinerama support removed my feelings
are hurt.

the state of the planet, and the general distaste I have for the
consumerist culture, I'm not going to waste my time supporting
Now you sound like those sinister FOSS people from your previous mails
and blog entries. Being asshole towards not-completely-dumb users for
no apparent reason (or should I say: a problem that may arise in a
galaxy far-far away is not really a convincing reason?).

and helping anyone enlarging their penises with multihead
configurations.
Want to talk about penises?
And yes, here in Russia we're totally buried in consumerism. My BMW
X5, for instance, has a platinum steering wheel.

Convenient or not, I doubt you have a justifiable (to me, not the
FOSS herd and other conspicious consumers) need for a multihead
setup.
I can walk my way to New Zealand sooner than you accept the
probability of the fact that you're not 100% right sometimes, let
along the xinerama thing. I don't feel like wasting my breath on this
any more.

--
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.