On 5/7/07, Tuomo Valkonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 2007-05-07, Alexander Shishkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Oh, cut off the drama, it was you who ripped off 'autoconf shit' from
> the rc, wasn't it?

Autoconf is autopain, a solution waiting for a problem... creating a
problem [1]. Clear and simple makefiles are _much_ easier to use.
Errm, isn't that the same as having to edit sources to configure a program?

> Again, unless I'm very mistaken (which is fairly unlikely) it was you
> who went along the lines of 'me vs {debian,gentoo,whatever} lusers'
> some month ago in 'Debian sucks' thread, or was it your special way of
> expressing irony towards this kind of attitude in linux?

I never said there aren't lusers and idiot users. There are, a lot
of them. More day by day, as Linux keeps becoming even sorrier
imitation of Windows, and the more of the herd finds it. It's just
It's about time we agree about what 'linux' stands for. If you prefer
to regard any of those modern linux-desktop trends with the term
'linux', I'd disagree.

that there is -- or at least used to be -- a progression of users
of different levels between them and the developers. You could be
a luser wrt. one piece of software while being the developer of
another. The trend in FOSS is either-or: the annihilation of that
progression.
I may be missing something, but what makes you think so?

Ion does not even try to cater for the lusers, and
the distributions doing whatever they will with it, and still
calling it Ion, makes it even harder to help them to become not
lusers.
My impression is that, these days there is much less stupid questions
on this list than there were three years ago, which makes me think
that users tend to become less of lusers, no?

Too much of essential FOSS core software, OTOH, these days
only tries to cater for the developers of that software, and the
lusers.
Can you please be more specific on this point?

--
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.