On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 16:29 -0400, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010, M Rawash wrote:

> > > First, thanks for starting this thread! I did notice that Tuomov's
> > > pages were down, but since his whole site was down, I was waiting
> > > for it to come back without realizing he might have taken the whole
> > > project down.  Quick question: do we know for sure Tuomov has
> > > severed connections with ion3 permanently or is this our best guess
> > > at this point?
> >
> > It's a pretty solid guess...
>
> Tuomo responded to an email on this list on March 22.  Maybe he's just
> on vacation.   He's complained often about the lack of good, simple web
> hosting.

Tuomo's website 404'd, the rest of the (host) website and all the other
accounts look pretty fine to me, doesn't seem like a problem with the
host at all (although it's still possible).

>  Seems slightly hasty to not wait to hear from the man himself
> that the project is "abandoned"-abandoned (as opposed to "I've switched
> to Windows, and don't plan to support this").

i believe forking was already on a lot of people's minds for some time
now (as somebody else mentioned), the fact that the website is no longer
available merely served as a motivation.

> > > ion3 has been my primary environment for a while now, and I won't
> > > consider changing. I love its design, philosophy, and simplicity,
> > > but I'm preaching to the choir here.
> > >
> > > I'm all for forking into /one/ fork, and that too only because of
> > > the licensing issue--please lets not make multiple messy forks. Like
> > > a few of you, I don't have much time either right now, but expect to
> > > be able to contribute a more a few months down the line. But I can
> > > contribute towards getting us going right now if needed.
>
> Personally, I don't understand everyone's reluctance to even consider
> changing.

not true, i suggest you dig deeper into this thread...

> Ion's great 'n all, but without extremely committed
> leadership, there doesn't seem to be much point to forking.  (Either it
> will remain the useful tool it is and only get bugfixes, or it'll bitrot
> completely.)  Why not branch out and get other similar-minded window
> managers (under active development) to incorporate some of what you love
> about ion?

now why didn't 'we' think of that?

i believe anybody who could have left has already done so. so...

> Guessing that won't be a popular sentiment, but whatever.  Not trying to
> completely discourage anyone -- just adding my $.02.

we're ion users, we are used to unpopular sentiments; we should get a
prise or something.