On 06/05/2018 10:15 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> I do agree too, though I was holding out hope that we wouldn't need a product
> like LIFX but instead would geta wealth of choices from manufacturers. So you
> pick up a new TV, a coffee machine or router, you get OCF support so you can
> use IoTivity to interact with. I hear they're coming...
>
> As for lack of binaries, that's partly my fault. It was a proposal in the
> beginning that we produce our own binaries, but I spoke against it. I said
> source would suffice. That's partly because none of the binaries projects
> release work for me (Ubuntu builds, no thanks). But Morten has a point in
> terms of making OCF available through the way developers are used to getting
> their code, be it npm (which we have), gem, Maven, nuget, or CPAN. That's why
> we made the IoTivity-node and IoTivity-Java bindings, but we stopped short of
> publishing it to the tools people expect to get.
>
> And yes, our examples suck. They're trying to be hybrids of examples and unit
> tests, so they get to be good at neither...

We can improve all this, but it takes resources to work on them, which
don't seem to be forthcoming at the moment; we seem to have even less
resources than we used to. AFAICT at the moment there are iotivity folk
working on very specific things, but other activities are going really
slowly (ask those who have submitted a gerrit request that is not a
"mainstream" feature). There also seems to be less public information -
release planning is not updated on the wiki now, and I guess you're
expected to "just know" what's coming and when, which I'm finding
frustrating.

Having binaries would be great, except... which binaries?  There are a
bunch of platform targets now - Win/Linux/32/64/Win Universal/Tizen/etc.
and even so there always seem to be people who want to work on a
different target (iOS, WebOS, Yocto, etc.).  So planning what gets
regularly built, and rejiggering the build system a bit so those who
want can build in the context of "link with these libs" instead of
"build the whole world", would take a bit of thought.

(of course y'all could pool your pennies and hire me to work on this :))

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links:

View/Reply Online (#9664):
https://lists.iotivity.org/g/iotivity-dev/message/9664