javanna commented on PR #16741:
URL: https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/16741#issuecomment-5928875815

   Thanks for looking @rmuir and @HoustonPutman !
   
   > Now that we are relaxing the minimum-write-supported-version, let's just 
remove the read-only (binary) minimum version.
   
   That's a good point! I see where you are coming from. The split between the 
two min supported versions is at the moment additional complexity for no 
additional value, if the two versions align. The reason why I kept it is a bit 
speculative perhaps: what happens once we make a breaking change that requires 
bumping? May we still want to support older versions in read-only fashion? That 
may become unnecessary, given that the main reason why we have two min 
supported versions in the first place is that we always bumped the min 
supported version at every major.
   
   I think we could state that the expert APIs (`DirectoryReader#open` and 
`SegmentInfos#readCommit` methods that take a `minSupportedMajorVersion`) 
remain to open older indices in read-only mode for users that plug in older 
codecs via SPI and maintain them themselves, but Lucene provides full 
compatibility and no built-in separate binary compatibility for indices that 
can no longer be written to. How does this sound?
   
   Let me know what you think, I hope I have accurately interpreted your 
comments.


-- 
This is an automated message from the Apache Git Service.
To respond to the message, please log on to GitHub and use the
URL above to go to the specific comment.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]

For queries about this service, please contact Infrastructure at:
[email protected]


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]

Reply via email to