On 2016-09-27 20:09, Dan Zach wrote:
> בתאריך יום שלישי, 27 בספטמבר 2016 בשעה 21:01:12 UTC+3, מאת Ralf Ramsauer:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 09/27/2016 06:57 PM, Dan Zach wrote:
>>> I tried to follow the advise in this forum and stick to vanilla kernel.
>>> Jetson TK1 loses all its graphics and becomes command line only.
>>> Talking to NVIDIA forum, it turned out that it is a huge task to make the
>>> graphics drivers and libs to work with Vanilla kernel.
>> I would also recommend to use a more recent kernel than 3.10. 3.10 was
>> released in June '13 and will be EOL in June '17. Sooner or later you
>> will have to upgrade to a more recent version and apparently, Nvidia is
>> trying to mainline most of their stuff (except their proprietary
>> graphics driver blobs...).
>>
>> This is not answering you question, but there's some nice work from two
>> Nvidia guys [1]. These scripts create an Arch Linux rootfs that contain
>> a full open source graphics stack (nouveau + mesa). Afair, they're using
>> latest mainline kernel, but it's been a while that I tested those
>> scripts. So actually it should be possible to get graphics working on a
>> recent kernel version...
>>>
>>> So my question is : how hard would it be to make jailhouse running with L4T
>>> kernel (based on 3.10).
>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see any problem running jailhouse
>> on an older kernel, besides the fact that you will have to align the
>> jailhouse system configuration.
>>
>>   Ralf
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Dan
>>>

>> [1] https://github.com/NVIDIA/tegra-nouveau-rootfs
>
> Thanks a lot, Ralf.
> I am just referring to this
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/jailhouse-dev/iK7ErlhE0ok
> where Jan recommends to go upstream. I never checked it doesn't actually work

Yes, there might be more complications that just making it build due to
those interdependencies to PSCI: the kernel may assume it is still
running on outdated U-boot. Maybe disabling CPU_IDLE like suggested will
be enough. It's just that no one tried yet.

> L4T 21 kernel is still based on 3.10, but I guess NVIDIA will have to push
> out a newer version soon, based on this EOL date.

The general rule is that BSP kernels are fine for early prototyping and
maybe also some disposable consumer products. But for any serious,
long-living things, you should really look for mainline (+ plus moderate
patching / forward porting). Vendors tend to have no proper maintenance
strategy for their BSPs like we can see here, apparently.

Jan

--
Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RDA ITP SES-DE