On Mar 12, 7:06 am, vasile surducan <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 7:56 AM, mattschinkel <[email protected]>wrote:
>
> > > Matt, RTCC it's already in the PIC. It needs only the 32768 connected at
> > > T1OSI/T1OSO.
> > > Why writing clock-calendar when is already implemented with hardware
> > > registers?
> > > Of course it works with TMR1 as well.
> > > Any reasonable 32768 TCXO or crystal I found in the neighbourhood is
> > 5ppm,
> > > no less so be it.
>
> > Because not all PIC's have hardware RTCC and becuase you will only
> > need 1 oscillator. It's just preference, so it's up to you.

If the PIC has the 32.768kHz osc option with HW counter while asleep,
then this seems cheapest option. I'm trying it soon. I just need to
have my PIC auto sleep/wait and make sure coin cell only supplies the
PIC.

The PCF8593 (wouter sells them €5) is best option for RTC/Cal if it is
not possible on PIC. But if you NEED a cheap RTC solution then choose
a PIC that supports it and design  it in. Many under €6 ?

An oscillator on its own is no use if the PIC has no HW counting while
in Sleep Mode.  A TCXO / VCTCXO or oven or GPS based RTC is no use on
a backup battery. They take too much power. A second PIC with
32.768kHz support and implement I2C slave can be maybe cheaper than a
PCF8593 and perhaps also be your Power Manager for rest of board with
main PIC.

I have designed on the 32.768KHz on my CatPad. I will try make it work
in Sleep with Coin Cell. Current major problem is RF interference on
the Radio from the TTL serial connection.  I will do PCB of Catpad
which will give people a good Prototyping general project PCB for a
handheld 128x64 GLCD PIC18F4550 project.
Either this box ZB16S  HH2  http://maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?moduleno=1686
or this box  N21GC  RH3165  http://maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=224581
Unless someone has a better idea?
With the  ZB16S  HH2 I had to cut off the edges of the 128x64 GLCD
PCB. :-(

There will be two PCBs. One for 4x4 buttons, 4 menu, 4way+centre
button navi switch and rotary encoder and a bicolour LED and GLCD
connector and the other with all the CPU and other ICs, I/O
connectors, on board coin cell. I may have a LiPoly PSU (2 to 4.5V
single cell or dual cell) with charger, under voltage etc and +5V and
other voltages via SMPSU on main PCB too with option to use 4 x AAA or
2 x AA NiMH also. Lithium coin cell on PCB for RTC.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"jallib" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en.

Reply via email to