--- In [email protected], "KoOkY!" 
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ah that's a more understandable explanation for me I think. And
> it's okay if they drop the desu ka entirely also?

Yes, it is. In casual conversation (among friends or family members) 
they usually don't use "desu ka". 

> The entire sentance on the page is "usagisan (Mr. Rabbit?) mogu
> mogu mogu (to pick). Nani tabeteruno?" So the anata wa and desu ka 
> are generally more formal speech?

The sentence "usagisan mogu mogu mogu. Nani tabeteruno?" means "Mr. 
Rabbit, (nibble, nibble, nibble), What are you eating?"
The phrase "mogu mogu mogu" is an onopatopoeia for chewing food 
without opening the mouth or making much noise. It's usually used 
as "mogu mogu", like "Nani mogu mogu tabeteru no?" I don't know if 
there is an English word for it, so I have to settle for "nibble, 
nibble" for now.
I guess the pase has a picture of a rabbit eating something, and the 
book is supposed to be read by parents/teachers to children, hence 
the sentence.  

Generally, they don't use the second person (anata) in 
Japanese. "Desuka" is used in formal and polite speech.

Kamui







 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Japanese_Language/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to