A wild shot in the dark: Are the square brackets really part of the
field name? They have never officially been supported, from the Ref
Guide:

"Field names should consist of alphanumeric or underscore characters
only and not start with a digit. This is not currently strictly
enforced, but other field names will not have first class support from
all components and back compatibility is not guaranteed"

Your statement "I cannot reproduce the issue if I give the
DoubleDocValuesField a different name" seems to indicate that it's not
a code problem with Lucene if you don't put the brackets in.....

Best,
Erick