Actually, it's more of a warning for both projects I think. The danger here is
that lots of things will work just fine with different characters in
the field names
than that recommendation. But there's no explicit testing (that I know of) for
all the places that could be affected.

Admittedly by the time you get to the Lucene level, lots of the places that
could be a problem are past (i.e. much of query parsing, DIH, etc), but to me
the benefit of different naming conventions aren't worth the risk of suddenly
starting to fail because you use a new code path.

But then I'm risk-averse ;).

Erick