Well managed mailing lists such as this one can last a very long time. They
don't just suddenly die, unless people lose interest in the topic or otherwise
move on due to administrative issues with the list.

Implementing DMARC and configuring the list not to break DKIM signatures are
both a certain amount of work, but large mail operators are starting to insist
on these (Yahoo in particular, as I recall), so it might be worth doing at
Asome point. I set all of this up on my own mail server last year. Yahoo
has a DNS record that instructs other sites which use DMARC to reject all mail
from Yahoo addresses that fails DMARC verification. I odn't know whether large
operators are placing mail that fails DMARC tests into quarantine, but it
wouldn't surprise me to find that they are.