So,

Are you saying that we should simply support both -
but not a third strategy which somehow supports
sandboxing AND optimised intra-container calls ?

1. Serialised. intra-vm calls should cause a suitable
WARNING - not an ERROR.

2. I believe that we need a third strategy.

This is not the 'ex-cathedra' pronouncement that I was
hoping someone else would make, I haven't given it
enough thought - but it might be a start.

I think, after a good 5 mins deep consideration, that
the App server should provide the following classes to
a SANDBOXED application.

1. J2SE x.x
2. J2EE y.y
3. Common local infrastructure

Since the app is sandboxed, it should be able to
override these with it's own version.

I guess if you want your own version of JAXP then you
should probably have to include your own
implementation as well.

Should the app-server not try, even in this situation,
to optimise intra-container calls ?

Jules