Julian Gosnell wrote:

>>What goes into 3?
>>

> Your site's e.g. Logging classes etc.. which every app
> uses. You figure it's cheaper to load them once into
> the apps parent CL, than many times, into every app.

Ok, good point. I believe Tomcat handles this by using a "common"
directory that contains libraries that should be available to webapps
and server alike.

> If they are not optimised, RH currently throws an
> exception and the test fails. So this needs fixing.

Ah. Point taken.

> I have heard of, but know nothing about, local
> interfaces. I would have thought though, that they
> must still be constrained by the basic laws of Class
> "assignability" - i.e. if the way the ClassLoaders is
> arranged means that instances of a Class cannot be
> passed directly from one ClassLoader to the other,
> without serialisation, then your call is going to be
> slower than if they were. Wether you are using local
> interfaces or not. Am I wrong ?

Well, if you want to use local interfaces, then yes, you have to be
careful with how you package classes. They need to be in the EAR.

> Anyway, JBoss attempts to implement optimised
> intra-container calls through the standard interface.
> Are you suggesting we should throw all this code away
> now? It would save me a lot of effort.

I'm torn. The optimization was introduced because there was no standard
way to do it, but now that it does... well.. what's the point? Backward
compatibility with people who have written apps that takes advantage of
it, yes, but that should be it. All new apps should use local interfaces
if you want local behaviour.

/Rickard

--
Rickard Öberg