+1000

This will greatly simplify many things, such as the trunk invoker client.

I'd like to suggest that we also consider basing UserTransaction on a
transaction manager instance on the client: this would allow
UserTransaction to use the same propagation mechanism as distributed
transactions (shipping xids).  Again, this would be easy with jmx on the
client. Setting everything up without jmx would be considerably more
difficult.

david jencks