From: "Matt Munz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2003 12:23 PM
Subject: FW: [JBoss-dev] [ jboss-Change Notes-672538 ] Master Configuration Service

> this one didn't make it either...

MBeans.  This is the purpose of JMX in the first place.  Your tool encounters a RW
attribute.  What assumptions can be made,
reasonably?

>   Here are my assumptions:
>
>   1. get the value of the attribute and store it in an object.  Do not modify the
>object.  Set the value of the attribute to
the object.  No error will occur.
>   2. set the attribute to a given value that is not equivalent to the current value.
> The behavior / state of the MBean will
change in a meaningful way.

>   Does the JMX spec enforce these?  Perhaps not.  Is it nevertheless reasonable to
>expect this behavior?  I think so.
Neither of these assumptions are upheld, however, in the current use of MBeans in
JBoss.

>   I realize that re-writing mbeans might cause pain for the project.  I'm not
>suggesting that it should even be done,
necessarily, at least not right away.  I am, however, trying to reconcile the notion
of a RW attribute where writing the value
has no effect.  Can this be explained simply?