While I'm sure what you are proposing can be made to work, it would be a really big redesign of how mbeans are thought of in jboss. Something you can do today, in just a few minutes, and will make your proposal work with jboss as it is currently written is to use the service lifecycle methods as I outlined.

david

On Friday, January 24, 2003, at 03:24 PM, Matt Munz wrote:

The third message that didn't make it the first time...

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Munz
Sent: Fri 1/24/2003 11:51 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [JBoss-dev] [ jboss-Change Notes-672538 ] Master Configuration Service

David,

This sounds good, but is it possible to KIS?

I think that interrelated attributes can be avoided in most cases. For the exceptional cases, we could provide a mechanism for declaring an order in which the attributes on a given bean should be set. As for inter-Bean dependencies, I suppose this is what the Notification API is for.

The MBean interface will never be able to show the multitude of complex behaviors that an Object can present. What about the methods setValueButOnlyIfTodayIsTuesday(Object value) or setValueButOnlyIfValueFooOnMBeanBarIsAlsoSet(Object value). JMX, as it is, is nice and simple. The lifecycle feature might help, though--I'm on the fence.

This is one of my beefs with generalized architectures -- it is so easy to think up ways to break the system!

- Matt