JD> It is certainly possible, though it does not look like the new features
JD> will inhibit PHP folks from coding they way they do now.  It just looks
JD> like it will allow them to write better software.  I spent the past 2
JD> weeks writing a PHP application and over and over I wished for features
JD> like namespaces, exceptions and proper handling of object references.
JD> So the changes are welcome in my mind.  But really anything to make PHP
JD> less like perl and more like Java/.NET is welcome.

They will keep compatibility.

JD> Though now that I think about it I would prefer that Java was more like
JD> PHP in the sense of a light weight web application development language
JD> with its rich extensions and apis.

we discussed with Dain at boot camp and we wished
having a way to dynamic compile a class, I mean with
a java compiler written in java and taking class def from
a classloader.

That would enable a compilation service in jboss. Would be great
for nukes. Kopi compiler is written in 100% java and could be modified
to achieve such results though I don't know about its license.