On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 1:31 PM, Kohsuke Kawaguchi
<kkawagu...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
> We could put both current and the new in the same repo, and call the new one
> "perforce plugin 2.0." […]
>
> We can have alpha/beta releases of 2.0 in parallel to updates to 1.x
> releases. People on the beta update center will get this 2.0 beta versions.
> When 2.0 is in feature parity, we can have the official 2.0 release.

Is there some advantage of this over my suggestion—to add the new SCM
implementation to a single release line of the same plugin, marking
the original one as somehow deprecated in labels & help text? There
are clearly some disadvantages:

· Users will not know they even have the option of using a new system
unless they enable the experimental UC, drastically reducing the
number of people who will try it.
· Users would not be able to try out the new implementation on one or
two experimental jobs while leaving more important jobs in a stable
configuration. They would have to update the plugin to 2.0 beta <n>,
restart Jenkins, then update the configuration of all of their jobs
not yet handled by automatic data migration, and hope there are no
critical regressions.
· Similarly, users deciding that 2.0 is not yet ready would have to
deal with downgrading to 1.0 via Plugin Manager (*), restarting
Jenkins, then probably reconfiguring all Perforce-based jobs even if
they did not use any 2.x features (since 1.x would presumably not be
able to read any 2.x data).

In a nutshell, I am suggesting to move linearly forward, rather than
using branches, making the parallel options available via two
SCMDescriptor’s in independent package hierarchies.

(*) Which is not straightforward if they went from 1.x to 2.0 beta 1
to 2.0 beta 2, since PM would offer to downgrade only to 2.0 beta 1.
They would have to manually download 1.x and install it via the
Advanced tab.