Hi Niksan,

The Jenkins plugin had popped up on Perforce's radar a few times; often for
performance issues.  With our new Swarm tool we wanted a better Continuous
Build experience and needed to update the plugin.  Starting that process we
identified a few issues:

1. Maintainability      - It's old/deprecated; large portions are based on
Hudson not Jenkins
2. Efficiency           - Slow and inefficient use for workspaces and sync
3. Perforce API         - New plugin will support P4Java and not the command
wrapper
4. ExtensionPoints      - Split the code base into multiple extension points
for clarity
5. Shelving Support     - Allow shelving for building code reviews before submit
6. Credentials          - Support Jenkins Credentials for managing many jobs

The current plan is to release the two plugins in parallel, allowing users to
try out the new plugin.  Then migrating the old to new plugin over a few
releases to smooth over any rough edges.  Shelving is already in and we hope to
add many of the new features available in Perforce.

If you have any specific concerns or feature you would like, do please let us
know.

Kind regards,
Paul

On 23 Apr 2014, at 14:26, Niksan <sumot...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Unless I've missed a post, can someone tell me what's currently wrong with
> the current plugin that warrants a pretty much from the ground up new plugin?
> Speaking as a heavy user of Perforce if people are currently using the
> existing plugin what issues are people having?
>
> What worries me is that the current plugin has been through its cycle of real
> world usage for bug finding, a new plugin to me means that cycle has to
> happen again. Like I say, I'm curious what's being brought to the table here,
> I'd hate to see the current plugin go stale as it's the only reason we're
> currently using Jenkins at all is because it's one of the few CIs that have
> streamed depots working out of the box.

you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. Please
note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of Perforce Software. Finally,
the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of
viruses. Perforce Software accepts no liability for any damage caused by any
virus transmitted by this email.

Perforce Software UK Ltd is registered in England and Wales as company no.
3816019 at the following address: West Forest Gate, Wellington Road, Wokingham,
RG40 2AT, UK