Unless I've missed a post, can someone tell me what's currently wrong with
the current plugin that warrants a pretty much from the ground up new
plugin? Speaking as a heavy user of Perforce if people are currently using
the existing plugin what issues are people having?

What worries me is that the current plugin has been through its cycle of
real world usage for bug finding, a new plugin to me means that cycle has
to happen again. Like I say, I'm curious what's being brought to the table
here, I'd hate to see the current plugin go stale as it's the only reason
we're currently using Jenkins at all is because it's one of the few CIs
that have streamed depots working out of the box.