Maybe we should clarify what it means for a plugin to be bundled in
"/WEB-INF/plugins" Vs "/WEB-INF/detached-plugins".

My understanding/interpretation is:

   - */WEB-INF/plugins*: These are plugins that must always be
   installed/updated. Same as before. The versions are kept as up-to-date as
   possible (I think, right?).
   - */WEB-INF/detached-plugins*: Selectively installed based on the
   criteria I outlined above/yesterday (Sept 16). The versions are *set to
   the minimum* required for Jenkins to work without throwing a wobbler of
   errors i.e. not kept up-to-date with latest version of that plugin.

So as I see it, upgrades from /WEB-INF/detached-plugins only happen if the
installed version is below the minimum version required for the new Jenkins
to work. We don't just upgrade "for fun".