It would be good if some people could try out what we've done so far and
let is know. Here's a link to a jenkins.war from the PR Builder
<https://jenkins.ci.cloudbees.com/job/core/job/jenkins-core/3136/artifact/war/target/jenkins.war>
 (or
get the latest build via the PR
<https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/pull/1822> itself).

One of the important things people might could check is the upgrade path
and how the detached/split plugins are handled. All the plugins that were
bundled in the jenkins.war are still bundled (in WEB-INF/detached-plugins),
but are only conditionally loaded on upgrade (not loaded at all on a new
install - the wizard handles that).

The upgrade ("last" running jenkins instance version was less than "this")
conditions under which detached plugins are loaded from
WEB-INF/detached-plugins are:

   1. The plugin in WEB-INF/detached-plugins was detached since the "last"
   running version.
   2. The plugin in WEB-INF/detached-plugins is already already installed
   in "this" jenkins instance.
      - The only effect here will be a possible upgrade of the plugin if
      the installed version is less than the bundled version AND the installed
      version is not pinned.
      3. The plugin in WEB-INF/detached-plugins is a dependency of one of
   the plugins selected via #1 or #2 above.
   - i.e. we also install the dependencies of plugins selected via criteria
      #1 or #2 above. For this, we use the "Plugin-Dependencies" attribute in
the
      manifest. The dependency plugin must also be in
      WEB-INF/detached-plugins.

The wizard you'll see (if you have an empty JENKINS_HOME i.e. not an
upgrade) is just a temp wizard I created to allow us put in some of the
backend bits. It only allows you to install some "recommended" plugins as a
quick starter. You can try this of course but don't waste time critiquing
it because it will be getting binned. Keith (Zantow) and Gus are building a
nicer wizard and we should have that soon (will allow easy plugin selection
etc).