Hi Stephen,

I really appreciate your quick responses,

>> It's when you then end up down at
the issues start cropping up.

I am not quite sure what you mean 'issues start cropping up' , what would
happen?. I've walked through the code but I still don't see where
'concurrent mod exception' could be happening, perhaps you mean something
else? For my plugin there is no chance that build would be assigned to a
phantom node, if you mean that.

>> In theory, add should be safe and only remove requiring the lock...

Would you be open to  accepting the following patch to jenkins core

Jenkins.getInstance().addNodeWithoutQueueLock( node)

Thanks again.