Let's forget the maven job. Our statistics about its usage are useless as
it was installed by default and we may hope that its usage is decreasing...

It remains that upgrading the java version of master is one thing. But you
also need to upgrade the java version used by agents which aren't
supporting an automated deployment (hello JNLP slaves on windows ...).

My problem is (and was for years when I administrated many instances) the
readibilty of the changelog/roadmap to understand when an important change
was done. I have no problem to release a java 8 version tomorrow in a
Jenkins 3.0 release. But in a 2.38 or 2.51.1 (fictifs versions) will be
always really strange for me. A minor release shouldn't enforce you to
change your infrastructure deployment (and possibly break many jobs but
it's a different story)

That's just my POV.

Cheers.

Le samedi 29 octobre 2016, Baptiste Mathus <m...@batmat.net> a écrit :

> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','aherit...@gmail.com');>>:
>
>> From my POV the problem is that we don't know if we are talking about 5%
>> or 50% :(
>

> Well, since yesterday, we do know some things
> <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_gsorbySktXNjMywDFZE0_eTm_r2zfPKdmq7AqWO2uQ/edit#gid=1770972416>
> .
>

>    - Java 8 as runtime represents 52% of the 133505 instances out there
>    (yes, it's ignoring the opted-out ones)
>    - Maven-plugin is installed 118711 times (yes, ignoring on purpose the
>    fact it was auto-installed up to 2.x)
>    - So, *at most* it's 46% of the users base who *might *be impacted
>    here, if they were to upgrade in the very short term (that is: while also
>    still using an EoLed JDK7 durably).
>
> Now, looking at the trend of the number of installs of that plugin, my
> guts feeling is that is less than that. And if you add that to the trend of
> Java 7 JVM users (see link above), then it is most probably going down even
> quicker.
>
> An example I have in mind is my previous company, pretty sure they didn't
> upgrade to Jenkins 2.x yet, so they still contribute to that stats, but we
> migrated off that plugins years ago after so many headaches and hours spent
> to debug different behaviours between Maven CLI and using it in Jenkins.
>
> Correlating with http://stats.jenkins.io/plugin-installation-trend/
> jenkins-version-per-plugin-version.json I think we would have even more
> data, but seems like that data is wrong.
> Gonna find the one who contributed that and hit him (I know him pretty
> well).

> msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CANWgJS6LFO7K6hgzb1aB5bg%3DFcTFiDkXNJLArFZEJM8uaY3xfQ%
> 40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CANWgJS6LFO7K6hgzb1aB5bg%3DFcTFiDkXNJLArFZEJM8uaY3xfQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

-----
Arnaud Héritier