Yes we are agree but I really dislike this feature which is trying
magically to do a fix.
In the latest version of the plugin I tried to make visible the warning
when it occurs.
Building with with a JDK 8 and target/sources configured in java 7 is far
from beeing perfect.
But like I said I'm really less annoyed by the maven job breakage than by
the deployment pre-requisite change which occurs in a minor release.
But like Christopher said, it was always like this and we aren't following
semver at all.
It's up to the users to correctly read in details our release notes to
evaluate the risk in each upgrade

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 2:40 PM, Jesse Glick <jgl...@cloudbees.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 6:33 AM, Arnaud Héritier <aherit...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > The problem is that when a user have a large number of maven jobs
> running on
> > old JDKs, these are often legacy projects where the maintenance cost
> must be
> > 0. The problem is that using toolchains requires to update you maven
> project
>
> I feel like I am repeating myself, but: if you run a Maven project
> configured to use an older JDK than what Jenkins (master + agent)
> supports, the plugin *already* switches your build to use external
> tools from that JDK (while Maven itself runs in the same JRE as the
> node). This happens using properties defined for common mojos; there
> is no need to switch to toolchains or edit your POM. Now this is not
> going to handle exotic plugins or POMs with weird configuration, but
> it should handle the vanilla cases. This has been true for a long
> time, since we dropped JDK 5 support IIRC.

-----
Arnaud Héritier
http://aheritier.net
Mail/GTalk: aheritier AT gmail DOT com