On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 9:17 AM, Baptiste Mathus <m...@batmat.net> wrote:
> Instead of the usual:
>
> Apr 04, 2018 12:36:41 PM org.eclipse.jetty.util.log.Log initialized
> INFO: Logging initialized @354ms to org.eclipse.jetty.util.log.JavaUtilLog
> Apr 04, 2018 12:36:41 PM winstone.Logger logInternal
> INFO: Beginning extraction from war file

>From this part of your message, what I suspect you are talking about
is the default logging format *in Winstone*. That is not a part of
Jenkins per se, nor is it controllable by code in Jenkins core. It is
specific to what appears on stderr when Jenkins is launched using
`java -jar jenkins.war`; when the WAR is loaded from other servlet
containers, they get to choose how log messages are presented. If you
wish to improve the default console format presented by Winstone, go
right ahead, but do not think that this is something that can be
controlled by the administrator except via Winstone command-line
options. There are already `--logfile`, `--logThrowingLineNo`,
`--logThrowingThread`, and `--debug` in this area.

As to the concrete format to pick, I do not have a strong opinion but
note that there is a compact one-line formatter in `support-core`
(later copied to `jenkins-test-harness` as well).

There is another place where a two-line format is displayed: in the
`LogRecorder` GUI, in `/log/all` for example. Certainly that could be
changed freely, since no one could (sanely) be depending on *that*.
Already it is colorized for readability, and you can do any HTML
tricks you like to present information nicely.